Monday, May 13, 2013

Rope-Wrapped & Painted Terra Cotta Planters

Pin It
I have a goal this spring and summer.  If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you know about my goal.  I want to put more effort into making the outside of my house pretty. 
how to make rope wrapped pots via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
 
I am starting small with these cute little rope-wrapped (say that 10 times fast!) and painted terra cotta planters for our outdoor table centerpiece.
how to make rope wrapped pots via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
Aren't they pretty?! (And yes, those are fake Ikea plants in them...for now.)  I plan to plant some real flowers in them soon!
 
Here's how I did it:
how to make rope wrapped pots via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
1.  I started out with some terra cotta planters from Wal-Mart.  Random Fact: Terra cotta is Italian for "baked earth".  I found that out when I had to Google how to spell terra cotta... :)
2.  Starting at the top, I began hot gluing my rope down to the pot.  I continued to do this around the pot all the way to the bottom.
3.  I snipped off the rope  and secured it with hot glue.
4.  Using left over latex paint from my front door and a standard paint brush, I added a touch of blue to the base of this pot. 
 
This is one of those easy and inexpensive projects that adds a touch of texture and interest to the table.  Now, I'm hoping this will motivate me to get going on the rest of the deck! :)
 
Have a great day!
 
  
 


Follow on Bloglovin

41 comments:

  1. This is a cute idea! Love the added paint! I found you through Rain on a Tin Roofs linky party! It's great to meet you!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Angela! :) Can't wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  2. gorgeous! I love how you painted the rope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was happy with the rope by itself, and it felt a little risky, but I think the paint gives them a little something extra! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this trend and I love that you painted them. Supe cute! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! Now I want one too! :)
    -Shayna
    www.TheWoodGrainCottage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shayna! Just use some of your left over rope from your cute baskets!

      Delete
  5. Rustic and pretty. Love the texture the rope adds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Adds a great touch, coming over from Give me the goods Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  7. Great idea. You should bring these over to Tumbleweed Contessa. What'd You Do This Weekend?

    Linda
    Thecontessa@tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic April! I have been wondering about doing this and now I see that not only does it work, it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen this done on bottles, but I love the look on pots too. Fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing it at Give Me the Goods Monday Linky Party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple but clever!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I have two plastic pots that would be perfect for this. Now I need some rope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I love this! Thanks so much for sharing at Give Me The Goods! Hope to see you again next Monday ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this? I'm OBSESSED!!! So so so cute!! Love that you gave them a little paint too. Cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps I love your fun fact about "baked Earth" so good to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are too cute... I hope you stop by and link them up to our party: http://www.the36thavenue.com/?p=13885

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just saw these on Hometalk! These are so gorgeous - love them - pinned to my DIY Garden Planters board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, love this idea. Fabulous. I host a weekly party called Inspire Me. It will be live Monday evening. I would love for you to link up. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there, Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty DIY! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look SO great! I love the colour you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Popping over from Tatertots and Jello where I saw your roped and painted terra cotta pots being featured! Terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these...they're my Craft of the Week!
    http://homemademodern.blogspot.com/2013/05/craft-of-week-rope-wrapped-terra-cotta.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. The paint adds such a beautiful extra touch! I love the colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so awesome! I love the splash of color you added with paint...creative!! Thanks for partying with us at the Summer Spruce Up party!!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too cute! Very nautical and rustic!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the way you dressed up a terra cotta pot. I'm doing a roundup on my blog of my favorite rope projects and would love to include this. Let me know if you have any concerns. I will be providing links to all of the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a simple, fabulous idea! The blue looks gorgeous with the rustic rope. I'm excited to have found your blog!

    Emily
    www.houseintheheights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aawsome creation !!! very cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look great - are they okay outside where they'll get wet?

    ReplyDelete
  29. where did you get that rope?? i love it!!

    ReplyDelete